Sunday, April 29, 2012

Book Review: Parenting with Love & Logic

I learned a lot from this book, and it challenged my way of thinking in many areas. I don't think any one method is a cure-all for kids' behaviors; instead, it's important to get advice from many sources & be eclectic in your approach. Since each child is different, it's helpful to have several "tricks up your sleeve." I think this method will work best with a very bright, very strong willed child.

The most important thing I gathered from this book was the dispelling of some "traditional" parenting myths. Myths like...

  • Consequences must always be immediate.
  • Kids should always be upset after being disciplined.
  • Consequences must be the same every time.
  • Kids should be warned beforehand what the consequences will be if they misbehave.
Definitely worth the read. 

1 comment:

  1. The "Kids should always be upset after being disciplined" myth is interesting. I'd like to read more about this. Through my years of mothering so far, I've grown to agree this is a myth. - Mom of 6, oldest is 8yrs.

    ReplyDelete