Saturday, February 23, 2008

Parenting Class


I called my friend who works for CPS to see if I could volunteer to teach parenting classes, as I have had a passion for that for the last few years. She told me they contract all of their classes out, and I still need to follow up on finding somewhere to volunteer. And yet, I don't have any children. :) So, what I'm wondering is: should I let that stop me? I honestly think I know more about it than many parents I see. But I am sure it must be much harder than it looks, and no one has all the answers. Here is my parenting philosophy. Let me know if you think I should pursue this idea. :)





  1. Spank them when they're 3! If you don't spank your child when they're 3, it will be too late. Every time I see a kid that looks too far gone, I think to myself, his parents should have spanked him when he was 3. :)


  2. Always expect respect and obedience from your children. Children are so different, and what we expect of them should vary according to their ability, personality, and age, but past 24 months, these 2 things are non-negotiable.


  3. Let your kids go!! I learned this from my grandfather-in-law, a very wise man. When your children move out of the house, move them out of your control, your radar, your un-solicited advice, your bank account, etc. This is for sure one that is easier said than done.


  4. Never discipline your kids only for getting on your nerves. This teaches them that parents are allowed to be selfish just because they are parents. Leave the room, and cool off. Another one easier said than done. :)


  5. Never argue about parenting decisions in front of the kids, question your spouse's decision in front of the kids, or criticise your spouse in front of the kids. (like on John & Kate plus 8- yikes)


  6. Learn your child's love language, and speak it. http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/books_familyparenting.html#children


  7. Don't have kids if you can't take care of them, love them, or discipline them. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be completely honest here:

    I just happened upon your blog while searching for something in Google. As a mother of 4 kids, I normally feel very defensive when women who don't have children try to tell parents how to raise their kids but you have got it spot on. I wish more people like you had kids!

    So many are afraid to spank their kids in this New Age and we're seeing the detriments of a generation spoiled.

    Three is a very trying age and though some kids need spankings before that time (terrible twos) and the kids are able to comprehend the repurcussions then, I think three is the worst of it. If you don't spank at age three, as you say, you are in jeopardy of losing your grip on the kids' behaviour.

    That all being said, I don't exclusively spank my kids. The punishment varies depending on the crime but often only a spanking will deter malice or defiance.

    I hope you have children someday.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!!!!!

    The LORD definitely brought me to your site today and I was happy to see your thoughts on child rearing.

    It saddens me to see children so upset and unstable when so much of that could be avoided if the parents were consistently guiding their children.

    You definitely hit the nail on the head. Although, I don't have kids I have certainly been around them and teaching them since I can remember. :)

    ReplyDelete