Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Book Review: Raising Godly Tomatoes

Here's the review I wrote for Amazon:

I really like her advice for the most part, especially the concept of training early (as soon as the understand "no") & consistently.

I think the "separation from the world" goes a little overboard, as I would like for my children to have other friends, and even non-Christian friends if they were supervised or I already trusted them completely.

I also take a different approach to temper tantrums & pouting. I think ignoring IS effective IF you ignore completely & are consistent. When DB was little, he threw a fit over a toy he wanted at the store. My grandmother was with him & she just burst out laughing in front of everyone. He was so shocked & embarrassed, he never did it again! :) (not the reaction he was going for! :) )

But most of her advice is really sound & based on experience that has worked! She is more balanced than the Pearls, Roy Lessin, or Ezzo that's for sure! More loving, and more age-appropriate. Most importantly, she is much less legalistic & exclusive (as in, "my way's the only right way") than they are! I am grateful for this.

As for spanking, most people are against it bc they don't do it correctly or have seen people use it incorrectly. If you start early, like she suggests & are consistent, you will hardly ever HAVE to spank. THIS is the goal. As for people quoting the Bible as being against spanking, you need to take another look. Nowhere does Jesus say not to spank. The shepherd's rod WAS used to guide, but this verse suggests it should also be used to punish.
"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die." Prov 23:13 PUNISH, not GUIDE.
Here are others to read if you're serious about figuring this out...
Prov 3:12, 12:1, 13:24, 19:18, 22:15, 29:17, Hebrews 12:5-11, Rev 3:19

Thanks for the website & book!

PS- Notice how all the negative reviews are blocked together. There is an anti-spanking website that gives links to Amazon on all the books they don't like & tells them to leave bad comments. Talk about herd mentality! Most have not even read the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment